Sunday, December 11, 2011

Caged Emperor

Statue of Pietro Leopoldo by Andrea Pelliccia, San Jacopo in Acquaviva, LivornoPietro Leopoldo was Grand Duke of Tuscany from 1765 to 1790 and then Holy Roman Emperor from 1790 to 1792. His monument, a work of the sculptor Andrea Pelliccia, is caged by wire mesh on the left of the church of San Jacopo in Acquaviva. It is easy to guess what is he thinking...

See also: What Statues Think - What Leopold Is Thinking - What Time Is It? - Sad Nereid - Guerrino of Montenero - Fisherman's Thought - Horseback Thinking - Garibaldi's Doubt - A Ticket Too Much

12 comments:

Nori Katayama said...

I also have my guess...about what he used to have in his hand...sword?

Lois Evensen said...

Quite a study in the styles of hair and clothing of the times.

Anonymous said...

I AM the EMPEROR (and don't anyone forget it)!

Jack said...

Does it have something to do with "Get me out of here?"

Randy said...

I agree with Jack. Nice statue.

Luis Gomez said...

It is a really nice statue. Yea, it is definitely "Get me out of here!"

cieldequimper said...

I didn't know statues think.

Kaori said...

That is not a happy face! What a statue :D

Cezar and Léia said...

When reading "caged emperor" I was about to guess it was Napoleon...
God bless you!
Cezar

Halcyon said...

I think he's thinking that there is something missing from his right hand. It looks like he used to be holding a scepter or so.

crocrodyl said...

Poor Emperor... Great capture!

Michelle said...

Quite a dramatic looking fellow!