Sunday, February 20, 2011

Nedo Nadi

1920 Olympic Games poster, Antwerp, BelgiumNedo Nadi was born in Livorno on 9 July 1894. He was an Italian fencer who won five gold medals in 1920, at the Olympic Games in Antwerp, Belgium. He is the only fencer to win the gold in each of the three weapons at a single Olympiad. He had already won, aged 18, the foil gold medal at the 1912 Stockholm Olympics.Nedo Nadi and King Albert I of BelgiumIt seems that when King Albert I saw the Italian fencer receiving a prize for the third time, asked him if this was some kind of mistake. Nedo Nadi, undeterred and in fluent French, told His Majesty that there was no mistake and that he had the intention to come back two more times, as he did.Nedo Nadi and Aldo Nadi with two teammates, Antwerp 1920Aldo Nadi, Nedo's younger brother, won three gold medals at the same Olympics: team foil, team épée and team sabre. He also won a silver medal in individual sabre, second only to his brother.

See also: Nedo Nadi - Aldo Nadi

12 comments:

cieldequimper said...

Bravo. Fencing is so elegant. I like the old poster. Buona domenica.

Michelle said...

I love to watch fencing. It seems so graceful in some ways. I also love the poster.

brattcat said...

A remarkable family, it would seem.

Jack said...

VP, this was a very interesting post. I had never heard of him, but then again, I know very little about fencing. But, I do know something about posters from the 1920s, and I have several. The one you show is spectacular and I have never seen it before.

Randy said...

Love the post but those old photos are fabulous!

Dina said...

Your post is really to the point.
A very sharp pair of brothers.

joo said...

Very interesting post, and I love the poster.
Happy Sunday to you!

Unknown said...

What a family! And the poster is fantastic! Great post, VP.

Traveling Hawk said...

I didn't knoe all these...Bravo for them!

EG CameraGirl said...

I enjoyed reading this about a local athlete and hero.

Gunn said...

Interesting and well done by the Nadi brothers!:)

Francisca said...

This was a fun read about this talented fencer and his brother. I like the poster too.