Sunday, April 19, 2009

Half a Church

Saint Gregory the Illuminator Armenian Church, LivornoIn another post I stated that in “Via della Madonna” there are two and half churches. Maybe half is still too much because, after the last war, of “San Gregorio Illuminatore” (Saint Gregory the Illuminator) the only part still standing was the façade.
The church was built in 1716 for a thriving Armenian community on a project by Ferdinando de' Medici, Grand Prince of Tuscany, by the architect Giovanni Del Fantasia. The statue of San Gregorio and the allegorical representations of Faith and Charity are by the sculptor Andrea Vaccà.Saint Gregory the Illuminator, plaque in Armenian, LivornoIf, by any chance, you are fluent in Armenian, you could easily get further information about this church from the above plaque.

14 comments:

joo said...

It's a shame that's only facade left!

Unknown said...

It must have been beautiful before it was destroyed. As joo says a shame. I really like the simpel colors of your shot.

crocrodyl said...

Beautiful but it is sad that there is only a facade.

brattcat said...

At least this beautiful facade survived. How is it kept from tumbling down?

Marcel said...

Hi, your right it are about the same tipe of flowers! I guess we snatched your weather and took it over here.. It's warm and sunny, that doesn't happen too often.
I am inside though preparing a meal for friends to come and doing some painting... Cheers from Marcel

B SQUARED said...

I can only imagine what the other half looked like. Thankfully, this much survived.

Hilda said...

What remains of it is certainly gorgeous. I'm glad this much has survived.

No help at all with the Armenian, sorry.
;)

Saretta said...

That's a lovely facade...but I can't believe you didn't research Armenian and translate the entire tablet for us, word for word!!! I'm joking, of course!!!

Walker said...

Great captures. First time I've see a sign in that language.

Cezar and Léia said...

This façade is really beautiful!
No idea about those signs!
Léia

Lowell said...

One must say that the facade is gracefully beautiful; I stand in awe of such adornments.

I tried out my Armenian, then realized I know nothing about the language.

cieldequimper said...

Beautiful detail. Thank you for testing our level of Armenian! :-)

Tash said...

Glad some of the church survived. The sculptures are beautiful and so is the Armenian script.
(After many months of meaning to look up Vogon Poet, I finally did today. LOL!)

stromsjo said...

Isn't that a great name for an architect - Del Fantasia ?