Thursday, January 22, 2009

Everyday Chimera

Chimera, piazza Grande LivornoAll the transportation I need to go to work are my shoes. During this short walk to the office I pass near several things of interest and, by the way, I can also have a look at a Chimera. About this mythological creature Wikipedia says:

In Greek mythology, the Chimera was a monstrous creature of Lycia in Asia Minor, composed of the parts of multiple animals: upon the body of a lioness with a tail that terminated in a snake's head, the head of a goat arose on her back at the center of her spine.

I do not really know why they put this ceramic bas-relief of a giant Chimera on this ugly building facing “Piazza del Municipio” (Town Hall Square), but there it is in all its colorful madness.

1 comment:

tapirgal said...

I think it made the ugly building quite pretty. I'd like to have it at my place.